1. A semi-truck full of logs has a large mass and must slow down long before a stop light because even with a small velocity, it has a large momentum and is difficult to stop.
2. A four-wheeler moving at a relatively fast velocity has a smaller momentum than the semi-truck because of its small mass and will stop much faster.
3. A bullet, although small in mass, has a large momentum because of an extremely large velocity.
4. A 1000 kg car moving at 15 m/sec has a momentum of 15,000 kg•m/sec as a result of multiplying the mass and the velocity.
5. A karate expert can generate enough speed with his fist that the momentum can carry through several bricks breaking them.
6. Two football players of equal mass are traveling towards each other, one is moving at 5 m/sec and the other at 8 m/sec. The one moving with the faster velocity has a greater momentum and will knock the other one backwards.
Momentum and Impulse Quiz