Max Von Laue Facts

Max Von Laue Facts
Max Theodor Felix von Laue (October 9, 1879 to April 24, 1960) was a German physicist. He made significant scientific contributions in optics, crystallography, quantum theory, superconductivity, and the theory of relativity, but it was for his discovery of the diffraction of X-rays by crystals that earned him a Nobel Prize in Physics in 1914.
Interesting Max Von Laue Facts:
Max Theodor Felix von Laue was born in Koblenz.
In 1899 he began his studies in physics, chemistry and mathematics and in 1902 he went to Berlin and studied under Max Planck.
In 1903 he received a PhD for his dissertation in interference phenomena in plane-parallel plates and from 1903 to 1905 he studied at the University of Gottingen.
He defended his Habilitation thesis in 1906 and from 1906 to 1909 was an assistant to Max Planck.
In Berlin he became a friend of Albert Einstein's and he contributed to Einstein's theory of relativity.
From 1909 to 1912 he was a lecturer at the Institute for Theoretical Physics at the Ludwin Maximilian University of Berlin where he met Paul Peter Ewald.
Ewald was researching wavelengths in the visible spectrum and it was Laue's research on X-ray diffraction that was crucial to his discoveries.
From 1914 to 1919 he was ordinarius professor of theoretical physics at the University of Frankfurt.
In 1916 he worked at the University of Wurzburg on the development of vacuum tubes to be used in wireless communication.
He worked with Walther Meissner on superconductivity and in 1932 showed that the threshold of a magnetic field which affects superconductivity varies with the shape.
Laue was openly opposed to National Socialism, and he and his colleague, Otto Hahn, helped Jewish scientists escape from Germany.
On April 23, 1945 Allied troops captured the German nuclear energy research station and Laue was taken to Huntingdon, England and interned at Farm Hall.
He was repatriated to Germany in 1946 and worked to restore the German scientific institutions.
From 1946 to 1948 he worked to reunify the Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft and to reestablish it in new quarters in Braunschweig.
Between 1951 and 1959 he was the director of the Max-Planck Institute for Physics and Chemistry.


Related Links:
Facts
Scientists Facts
Animals Facts








Educational Videos