Kinetic Energy Examples
1. An airplane has a large amount of kinetic energy in flight due to its large mass and fast velocity.
2. A baseball thrown by a pitcher, although having a small mass, can have a large amount of kinetic energy due to its fast velocity.
3. A downhill skier traveling down a hill has a large amount of kinetic energy because of their mass and high velocity.
4. A golf ball sitting on a tee before it is struck has zero kinetic energy because its velocity is zero.
5. An asteroid falling to earth at incredible speeds has an enormous amount of kinetic energy.
6. A car traveling down the road has less kinetic energy than a semi-truck traveling at the same speed because the car's mass is much less than the truck's.
7. A river flowing at a certain speed possesses kinetic energy because the water has a certain mass and it also has velocity.
8. An insect flying has a small amount of kinetic energy because its mass and velocity are relatively small.
Potential & Kinetic Energy Quiz
Kinetic Energy Facts