Appeal to Pity Examples
An appeal to pity is a specific type of emotional appeal. An appeal to pity manipulates someone's feelings of pity or guilt in order to get them to support a point of view. This type of appeal is a fallacy-an illogical reasoning pattern. One's emotions have nothing to do with the correctness of an idea or the value of a product, but argumentative writing and speaking often appeals to our emotions, such as pity.
1. Commercials that show starving children in Africa before asking for donations to feed them.
2. Saying that you support a specific candidate for class president, only because he has recently been diagnosed with cancer.
3. When you did not finish an assignment on time, you tell your teacher about how your printer was out of ink, but that you didn't want to ask your mom to go to the store because she works nights, doesn't get much sleep, and she was sleeping.
4. A young mother asks for assistance from a local church and she brings her three young children with her to speak to the pastor.
5. When a boss recommends someone for a promotion and makes the argument that the person really needs the additional money to support his family.
To Kill a Mockingbird Chapters 20-23 Summary